Campbell And Bradley Just Two Things That Bothered Me This Week

By Russell Gillenwater
TTT Editor
Well I just want to write quickly about some events that happen this weekend. The first was some of the events around 2011 NHL Draft. At the draft my Chicago Blackhawks finally found someone, in the form of former General Manger Dale Tallon now with Florida, to take the huge contract (8 years at 56.8 million dollars) of Brian Campbell that he gave the defenseman in 2008.

Now don’t get me wrong Campbell was a key part of the 2010 Stanley Cup Championship team, I don’t know if we would have won the first round series with Nashville if he had come back in Game 4. Like I told a guy I play hockey with once “If we win the Cup then he was worth every penny.” And he was. However, paying a number three D-man more than you pay your one or two can get you in salary cap trouble (which the Hawks were the last two season).

What has surprised me is that a lot of the same people that have called for the Hawks to trade Campbell for three years now can’t believe they dealt him. I hate to see Campbell go, but this trade does give the team salary cap relief. Let us see how General Manager Stan Bowman uses this room July 1st.

The second item was the U.S. blowing a 2-0 lead in the Gold Cup Final to Mexico, Saturday night, losing 4-2. Yes, I want to join the choirs of people that want Bob Bradley’s head on a stick (not literally). I know some are saying that we were basically playing before a Mexican crowd in the Rose Bowl as 80% to 90% percent of the crowd was flying the tri-colors. Still, we blew a 2-0 lead and I think this is at the feet of Bradley.

When Steve Cherundolo went out in the 11th minute and Jonathan Bornstein was subbed in I turned to my wife and said “We will need four goals to win” and I was right. Cherundolo has been the Americans best defender through out the tournament. While Bornstein is a so-so defender, he was way out of his depth against that Mexican front line. Jonathan Spector, in my opinion, would have been a better choice.

This is just one of a long list of problems I have with Bradley. I mean we were lucky getting to the Gold Cup Final. We barely got out of our group, losing to Panama and struggling with Guadeloupe (which is a regional football team that can’t even play in the World Cup!). I thought that Bradley should have been let go after we were knocked out by Ghana in the Round of 16 at the 2010 World Cup. I have a bad feeling that the 2014 World Cup will not be one to remember with Bradley in charge.


Comments

Popular Posts